A study conducted over five years by the Mining Capacity Building Project (PRECASEM).
The geological and geophysical map of Cameroon is 75% known. These results are the subject of a study conducted for 5 years by the Mining Capacity Building Project (PRECASEM). However, the remaining 25% could not be covered, as they represented the conflict zones of the country.
According to the Minister of Mines, Industry and Technological Development (Minmidt), Gabriel Dodo Ndoke, the map thus drawn "allows us to know our subsoil for the good of the economy. Because knowing your subsoil can help interest both national and international investors on the mining site."
Funded by the World Bank, the map drawn up by ME PRECASEM "will be useful to researchers. It will be useful for teaching. It makes it possible to make a great qualitative leap at the scientific and economic level and even at the technical level," added the Minmidt.
The richness of Cameroon's subsoil is immense. As for diamonds, the Mobilong site in the east of the country is home to a 420 million-carat resource, according to an assessment by the mining company C&K Mining. In addition, according to official data, Cameroon hosts nearly 3 million tons of rutile, including 500,000 tons located in Akonolinga, the second largest reserve in the world behind Sierra Leone. The bauxite deposit is valued at about 2 billion tons.